Hammocks have been used for at least 2,500 years.
We've found evidence they were around then, but it's likely they're much older.
Christopher Columbus was excited upon discovering them during his adventures to the New World.
They've been hugely popular ever since, and we've realized they are magical for a few different reasons.
Today's Best Sellers
- Vivere combo, the double hammock with stand and carry bag is our top choice for combos. The double hammock is tightly woven with high quality cotton thread resulting in a heavy, durable fabric.
- The hammock stand is constructed of heavy duty Steel and assembles in minutes without any tools.
- Vivere hammocks have pure polyester end strings that will last longer than traditional cotton end strings.Bed Length:87 inch
- The larger of our Brazilian hammock combos is great for sharing a snooze with a friend
- Stunning colors make this hammock the highlight of the yard
- BRAZILIAN GATHERED-END STYLE: Built to distribute your weight in the center while gathering the fabric to your sides; achieve a new level of comfort by wrapping yourself in a soft, suspended cocoon!
- BUILT FOR 2: High 450-pound weight capacity easily accommodates up to two people at once! Curl up with your favorite company for some well-earned rest
- HEAVY-DUTY STAND: Tempered steel frame assembles easily and provides a stable surface that is perfect for sleep, relaxation, camping, picnics and more
- ULTIMATE GIFT: Whether it's friends or family, this hammock is a versatile, functional, and unique way to give them a new experience in comfort and quality
- BUILT TO LAST: Weather-resistant hammock is made from a tightly woven cotton blend that easily folds into a compact carrying bag so you can take your comfort on the go!; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 115"(L) x 48"(W) x 43"(H); Weight Capacity: 450 lbs.
- 🌞👙🏡 Sturdy Frame with Selected Fabric: Made of heavy powder coated steel, the frame of the lounge chair is sturdy and not easy to rust. The seat is crafted with premium fabric, which has good air permeability and high resilience. Plus, the bottom legs of the hammock chair are designed with X-shape for ensuring stability. The chair also has anti-slip foot cover to prevent scratching.
- 🌞👙🏡 Ergonomic Design with Soft Cushion: Conforming concept of ergonomics, the curved curve of the hammock is very suitable for your body and can reduce the pressure on your lumbar spine. Equipped with a thick and soft cushion, the chair will provide extreme comfort for you.
- 🌞👙🏡 Adjustable Sun-Protective Canopy: The canopy of hanging chaise lounge chair is made of thickened polyester, which provides sun shade when you lie on the hanging chair. And the angle can be adjusted to meet your different needs. If you want to place the hammock indoors, the canopy also can be removed.
- 🌞👙🏡 Wide Application: The chaise lounge chair is designed with fashionable appearance, which is practical and decorative. And it can be used in anywhere, such as backyard, garden, poolside, patio, etc. It allows you to enjoy your time when you lie or read on the hanging chair.
- 🌞👙🏡 Easy to Assemble & Clean: It comes with installation manual and required accessories which allow you to assemble the hammock chair quickly. And the cushion can be detached so that you can clean it easily with hand or machine.
Main Advantages Of A Comfortable Hammock
When you picture a hammock it's usually in between coconut trees on a tropical beach. Now you'll be able to experience the same thing in your garden.
All you need is a comfortable hammock with a stand and you're ready to go. Before we look at the best free standing hammocks on the market at the moment, look at the advantages you'll get by using one:
- It's the ultimate relaxation tool
- You'll become a lot smarter
- Your mental health will improve
- It will help with your back problems
1 – It's The Ultimate Relaxation Tool
Tons of people are throwing their beds out and replacing them with hammocks. Not only are they more comfortable to lie in, but they also help you fall asleep quicker and stay in a deep sleep for longer too.
It's easy to see why when the gentle swaying side to side will make you feel like you're in a deep meditative state.
Even if you're only buying a comfortable hammock to keep in your garden, you'll instantly feel a warmth of relaxation overcome your body every time you lie on it.
2 – You'll Become A Lot Smarter
This can be broken down into a couple of different categories. You'll reap the rewards when you're on your hammock, but they'll also stay with you throughout the day.
Most people will read on their hammock, and because they're so relaxed they will absorb the information a lot easier.
You'll be able to concentrate a lot harder for the rest of the day too, so you will be at your peak no matter what you're doing.
3 – Your Mental Health Will Improve
How stressed do you feel after a hard day at work? There is nothing like the feeling of collapsing on your hammock once you get home.
Even if it's the weekend you'll want to crawl into the garden to lie inside your hammock to banish your stress, anxiety, and depression.
Once you've spent a while chilling out you'll feel completely rejuvenated. It will feel like your mind popped out for a mental massage while you were lying down.
4 – It Will Help With Your Back Problems
Everyone has back problems these days in some shape or form. Lying in a hammock won't cure the worst of back injuries, but it will help you feel a lot better.
If you only have a slight twinge in your back, hammocks have been known to help you feel a lot better.
It's kinder on your pressure points and you'll lie in a more natural position.
The Best Free Standing Hammock For Your Garden
There are a lot more benefits you'll get to enjoy, but I'm sure we've covered the main ones if you're not going to sleep in your hammock full-time.
Now you'll want to know the best free standing hammocks you can pick up at the moment to turn your dream into a reality (minus the tropical beach).
Here are the most comfortable hammocks you can use in your garden even if you don't have any trees.
- Sunnydaze Cotton Rope Hammock
- Vivere Double Hammock
- Wooden Curved Arc Hammock
- JUMBL Portable Foldaway Hammock
- Hanging Swing Hammock Chair
The Sunnydaze cotton rope hammock comes with a polyester pillow and pad. The pad will cover your hammock to protect it from the rain, so you can leave the hammock once it's set up.
The pad comes in multiple designs and it's fade-resistant, plus it's easy to throw in the wash when you want to clean it. You're also free to relax on the soft ropes should you wish to do things more traditionally.
The stand is rock solid and will hold up to 275 pounds in weight. Because the hammock is 52 inches wide by 76 inches long, you'll be able to squeeze more than one person onto it.
It's also simple to set everything up, which can be done without any tools in a relatively short amount of time. This means when combined with its portability you can use it inside or outside depending on the weather.
- Will withstand the elements when sitting outside
- Can be broken down and taken anywhere with you
- The stand is very durable but still lightweight
- Only 6 color patterns to choose from
- The pillow isn't as big as the one on your bed
One of the biggest differences between the Vivere Double Hammock and the last one is obviously the size, because it's much easier to fit two people on the Vivere. The dimensions of the hammock bed is 63 inches wide by 94 inches long.
It's also 100 percent pure cotton, so you'll want to fall asleep the moment you sink into it. The Brazilian hammock has a tight weave for added comfort, plus the hammock fiber will keep its color for years.
It will last much longer if you bring it inside when not in use, which will take you a few seconds. You can bring the entire stand indoors to use when it's raining, because it is space-saving and lightweight.
You'll also be able to set it up in minutes without any tools like the last hammock we looked at. Take it anywhere in its carry bag too. It's very light for something that can hold 450 pounds in weight.
- Feels like you're lying inside a cocoon
- Hammock carry case will let you take it everywhere
- A massive 450 pound weight capacity
- Only 3 color patterns to choose from
- Has to be hand washed in cold water
This is definitely the most attractive hammock stand of them all, and it will look gorgeous sitting in your garden. It's obviously less portable too, so once it's in your garden it will be hard to take inside.
The stand is made from 100 percent Russian pine and will be able to handle up to 275 pounds of weight. It's coated with a varnish to protect it from fading in the sun and to help protect it from the rain.
You want a beautiful stand, but the hammock must be comfortable too. The one you'll get with your wooden arc hammock frame will be 100 percent cotton, and it will be big enough to accommodate two people.
Even though it's made from wood the frame is still relatively light and it's also easy to build, so you'll be able to jump on your hammock shortly after taking it out of the box.
- The design looks like a stunning wooden ship
- It comes with a very comfortable cotton hammock
- Built to withstand all of the elements
- The hammock fabric only comes in one style
- It's less portable than a metal hammock stand
The JUMBL hammock is a great choice for anyone looking to get the most bang for their buck. It's almost like a hammock and sun lounger rolled into one, but you won't have those annoying arm rests getting in the way.
It won't swing like a regular hammock connected at two points because of the way it's built, but it's still very comfortable to lie on. You'll be able to throw it together quicker than anything else we've looked at.
Thanks to its unique design, you'll be able to fold it down and slip it inside the carry bag instantaneously. It weighs a little over 10 pounds, and when the strap is on your shoulder you'll be able to carry it everywhere you go.
It holds up to 220 pounds in weight + it's 32 inches wide by 88 inches long, so it should suit almost anyone. The material it comes in is water resistant and will be able to handle being left outside.
- It's simple to set up and carry everywhere
- More comfortable than most fancy sun loungers
- A lot sturdier than traditional hammocks
- More basic than all the other hammocks
- It's not going to improve the look of your garden
If you've ever wondered what it would be like to float in thin air you'll want one of these hanging hammock chairs. Through the power of physics you will be attached to a single chain sitting above your head.
Just like the wooden hammock stand, this will become a focal point in your garden and will increase its look dramatically. It will never have to move because the metal and fabric have been designed to withstand any elements thrown at them.
You'll have a canopy above your head to protect you from the sun. To improve your comfort even more there is a cushion with built-in pillow. It's also positioned perfectly to help you feel completely relaxed when you lie back on it.
The hammock frame is very stable, but you'll still swing gently when the wind hits or if your body weight shifts. It will be able to handle up to 265 pounds, which is a lot considering you're only hanging from one point.
- Feels like you're floating in thin air
- Cushion and pillow for maximum comfort
- A great ornamental piece for your garden
- There isn't much room for two people
- Only a small selection of colors available
Every Garden Needs A Free Standing Hammock
A comfortable hammock is usually one of those things you only look forward to when you're heading off to paradise for a week or two?
Why can't you have one in your garden every single day of the year? They're well within a price range everyone can afford.
They offer so many benefits it's worth having one any time you walk into your garden.
The free standing hammocks we've looked at today will definitely change your life.